Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Book List

Here is a list of really educational, eye opening, and even inspirational books which I recommend as a starting point if you are interested in learning more about the stuff I've been writing about.

1. Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris
This was my most recent read, but I would say this is a great starting point. This one is very direct and to the point. It is written in the format of a letter to all Christians in America, and it is loaded with tons of interesting points, and at just under 100 pages, its a quick and easy read. You owe it to yourself...

2. The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
This was the book that really got me interested in my own "godlessness." It was the first book I read on the subject. It's no wonder this man is so well respected as a science educator... he has the ability to make an average reader understand incredibly complex ideas with ease (and maybe just one re-read ;-) haha!) Yes, I admit, there is a bit of daunting vocabulary, but as I said, Dawkins is an amazing educator and he'll have many of your questions answered in no time.

3. Atheist Universe - David Mills
This is, thus far, my favorite book on the subject. It would be a great complement to Dawkins' book. If you had a question that Professor Dawkins couldn't answer with his book, David Mills can surely clear it all up for you... so, I recommend reading this either directly before or directly after The God Delusion.

4. The Portable Atheist - Christopher Hitchens
Great collection of works by almost 50 authors on the subjects of atheism, skepticism, agnosticism, free-thought, etc... Despite sounding like a small, pocket-sized book, its actually quite large. About 500 pages... great to have laying around at all times for whenever you've got 5-15 minutes to spare. The bathroom comes to mind...

5. The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
One of his earlier, and most respected works, the selfish gene is an amazing explanation about what drives biology today, and what has driven evolution up until this point (whats the deal with primordial ooze?). Caution: avoid leaning over a table while you read this one, because you may just bust your chin while dropping your jaw.

6. Your Inner Fish - Neil Shubin
Awesome! This is another one that's quite easy to understand, incredibly informative, and highly entertaining. Written by a discoverer of the missing link, Tiktaalik, Your Inner Fish is all about where you came from. A must read!

Click on any title to be referred an amazon page for the book.

No comments: